How To Destroy Wikipedia SERP Results
Mon, 07/18/2011 - 05:03 in
Wikipedia is the bane of the Internet. At least if one of their well ranked, Google loved pages is ranking above your site for your chosen niche keywords that is. Here are the 14 steps to overthrow a Wikipedia page.
- Use open site explorer or something similar to discover what Wikipedia pages are linking to your Wikipedia target page.
- Began removing the internal Wikipedia links pointing to the wiki page you want to jump. Do this slowly over time. It is best to point the link to another Wikipedia page so that the editorial staff doesn’t simply replace the link.
- Create a landing page on your site that is meant to be authoritative on the subject and all-encompassing just like a Wikipedia page.
- Create at least four supporting pages for your landing page discussing closely related topics. For a page on SEO, you may create additional pages on link building and content creation etc.
- Link to all supporting pages from your landing page to create a theme or silo effect
- Link to the landing page from your supporting content
- Interlink the supporting pages with one another. For the theme or silo to be effective you cannot link to any other pages outside of the silo in the supporting pages, nor can you link to the supporting pages from pages outside of the silo.
- Create a link in your landing page content (not sidebar) to the page you want to jump the Wikipedia result. Make sure to use the proper anchor text.
- Begin link building to the supporting pages. These links can be your classic article marketing, blog commenting, or Web 2.0 links. The point is to build some authority and get the pages indexed.
- Go to the Wikipedia page and create some random content that is clearly not factual on the Wikipedia page
- Take a screenshot of the content change and remove the bogus information from Wikipedia
- Visit open site explorer again and look at all of the external links pointing to the Wikipedia page and export them to a spreadsheet
- Go to each link pointing at the Wikipedia page and send them an email detailing the error of the Wikipedia page with the attached screenshot as proof. Describe how important it is that their readers get reliable information and offer your authoritative page as an alternative. Instruct them they should change their link immediately to point to your page. It is best to grab the email address from WhoIs of the Webmasters who own the site in order to get the best results.
- Watch as the Wikipedia page drops into obscurity and your page moves to the top of the list
- 3 "Must Use" Affiliate Tools
- How SEO Information Spreads the Web... or Doesn't
- Is Suggestion Ranking the Next Frontier for SEO?
- Think Of Building Your Business Before You Think Of SEO
- A Guaranteed Way to Double, Triple or Quadruple Your Affiliate Earnings
- Link Consolidation - Powering up Your Pages with Link Juice
- Sticking to a Link Building Campaign